At Red Hat, we connect an innovative community of customers, partners, and contributors to deliver an open source stack of trusted, high-performing solutions. We offer cloud, Linux, middleware, storage, and virtualization technologies, together with award-winning global customer support, consulting, and implementation services. Red Hat is a rapidly growing company supporting more than 90% of Fortune 500 companies.
The Red Hat Customer Experience and Engagement (CEE) team is looking for Software Maintenance Engineer to join us in Brno, Czech Republic. In this role, you will help resolve the issues of our enterprise customers quickly and effectively. You’ll provide high-level technical support and sustaining engineering services designed to maximize uptime and reduce IT costs. As a Software Maintenance Engineer, you will maintain close working relationships with our customers’ top developers and architects and assist our front-line support engineers with the most complex and challenging problems. Daily contact with our R&D team will allow you to work regularly with some of the best open source developers. Come join one of the fastest-growing enterprise software and services companies in the world.
Primary Job Responsibilities
- Investigate and troubleshoot customer reported issues using available tools and enhance or write custom tools when needed
- Analyse upstream development in relation to customer reported defects and develop patches
- Provide test builds to verify fixes or bisect regressions
- Work closely with Red Hat's Technical Support Engineers, Technical Account Managers,
and Development engineers
- 3+ years of experience as a support, sustaining, or development engineer or other directly related experience in an enterprise environment
- Knowledge of Operating system architecture and concepts such as symmetric multiprocessing (synchronization, locking mechanisms), virtual memory management (paging, swapping, page cache, virtual address space layout), process scheduling and multi-threading, exception and interrupt handling, mechanisms of inter-process communication, timers, signal handling, system calls, etc albeit preferably with Linux or alternatively with a variant of a UNIX operating system
- Familiarity with the C programming language (i.e. reading and preferably coding as well), assembly language (reading, preferably with one of the processor architectures that Red Hat supports), function calling conventions (passing parameters in registers, function-local data in stack frames), understanding how assembly instructions are related to corresponding C code
- Experience of Kernel crash dump analysis; preferably with Linux or alternatively with a variant of a UNIX operating system Use of Kernel debugging and tracing tools such as the crash utility, systemtap, trace-cmd and perf 'Git' (or a similar version control system) to browse/examine source code change history in order to identify upstream fixes that may address an issue reported by a customer; experience with using 'git' to create a patch in standardised 'git-format-patch' output and upstream kernel contributions are a big plus
- Upstream involvement in an open source project i.e. submitting patches for upstream inclusion is a plus
- ARM64 and/or PPC Power8 architecture knowledge will be considered a huge plus
Red Hat is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We review applications for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, uniformed services, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Please send your CV in English. Relocation to the Brno CZ is a must. Red Hat provides all visa and documents support, relocation bonus.
Michal Rdest <firstname.lastname@example.org>