I'm very proud to announce that we have just released Qubes Beta 1!
Some new features that have come into this release include:
- Installer (finally!),
- Improved template sharing mechanism: service VMs can now be based on a common template, and you can now easily create many net- and proxy- VMs; template upgrades now don't require shutting down all the VMs;
- Standalone VMs, convenient for development, as well as for installing the least trusted software,
- Built in, easy to use firewall VM(s),
- Seamless integration of virtualized tray icons (check the screen shots!)
- Redesigned file-copy between domains (easier, more secure),
- Default template based on Fedora 14 (x64)
- Reasonably complete User Guide.
- ... and many other improvements and bug fixes!
What is Qubes?
Qubes is an open source operating system designed to provide strong security for desktop computing.
Qubes is based on Xen, X Window System, and Linux, and can run most Linux applications and utilize most of the Linux drivers.
In the future it might also run Windows apps.