LINUX.ORG.RU

Ответ на: комментарий от JacobTwoTwo

Ага, вот жеж засада, просто слов нет. Покупаешь проц за 350к, а ещё надо докупать за 13к хотя бы i5, как теперь жить то?

AntonyRF ★★★★
()

И как он «видится в системе», как обычный CPU с большим количеством ядер, или как GPU?

Судя по всему он видиться в системе как дохера ядер ЦП.

Я особо не в теме, но Xeon Phi Coprocessor это вроде целая линейка и на каких-то запустить десктоп вполне можно, а какие-то работают по PCI и только через спец. ПО. Подробнее можно узнать в поддержке интел, если не хочется читать тонны документации на буржуйском.

AntonyRF ★★★★
()
Последнее исправление: AntonyRF (всего исправлений: 1)

никто не пробовал, откуда у нас такие деньги?

Einstok_Fair ★★☆
()

на попробовать есть вроде какие-то бесплатные хостинги с этими хеонами

Einstok_Fair ★★☆
()

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/hpc/Top-5-Xeon-Phi-Misconceptions-508/

1)«If I add a Phi card to my system I will have an extra 60-cores for my programs to run on.»

Well, yes and no. The Xeon Phi does have 57-61 cores and they are 64-bit x86 compatible. However, those Xeon Phi cores look like they belong to a separate computer connected over an internal network to your host OS. I've talked with several people who thought those extra cores were just automatically available to your host system. Those extra cores do not just show up along side your system processor cores and are not directly visible to the host OS!

2)«The Xeon Phi is Linux only.»

Again, this is yes and no. The Phi itself runs an embedded Linux OS in memory on the card. The card has a boot-loader flashed onto non-volatile memory and when the card starts up it loads a file system and Linux kernel that are stored on the host system. It's called uOS. However, the card can be booted into uOS from a Windows host! There is a Windows driver for the card and it works fine. I've tried it. (I'll talk about that in another post.) Just keep in mind that even on a Windows host the card is still running Linux. You can't run Windows programs on it since the executables would be binary incompatible.

3)«You can run any Linux programs on the Phi.»

NO! As I said earlier the Phi is running an embedded Linux OS called uOS. The «u» is really supposed to be a Greek letter mu and stands for «micro», as in micro-OS. That's a hint! Most of the OS functionality on the card is provided by a cool application called «busybox» which provides some of the functionality of many common core Linux command line system programs in a very compact way. It's a pretty lean Linux system! Core system level commands and network capability are provided on the card but not much else. You can directly login to the card and run programs in «native mode» but, any programs you run are going to need to to bring any needed run time libraries over to the card or make them available over the network interface to the card. (You can do NFS mounts to the card.) It's really not a general purpose Linux OS. It's an embedded system OS running in, and using up, the limited memory available on the card. ... I've had more than one person ask me if they could run Windows programs on the Phi using «Wine», sorry, that's not going to work!

4)«It's easy to write programs for the Xeon Phi»

No way! Programming is not easy period. It is easier to get something to run on the Phi than it is on a GPU with CUDA for example. However, getting a code to run with good performance on the Phi requires a considerable effort. You have to be able to utilize all those cores and hardware threads along with the core vector units in order to get good performance out of the Phi. Also, you have the same problem of limited memory and limited bandwidth over the PCI bus that you have when working with GPU accelerators. It's a non-trivial programming effort. Is it worth the effort? Yes. The effort you put into optimization for the Phi will also benefit your codes performance on the CPU and the Intel compiler tools help tremendously with this.

5)«The Phi is just a fad, it wont last»

I'm calling that a misconception too. Those who have been in the HPC business for a while may have «déjà vu» moments when they look at Phi. Remember the «Cell BE»? (the «Cell» processor was used in the PlayStation3) It had interesting potential, it was added to some super-computers of the time, and effort was made to take advantage of it. It didn't go well! The architecture was too limiting. The Phi does not have this problem! How about FPGA's (field programmable gate arrays)? Tremendous potential, and they are still actively developed and advances in usability have been made. However, they are by design special purpose and can't really be used as a general platform for running varied codes. Phi has a big advantage in this regard. Then there's Tesla + CUDA. This is the strongest competition for the Xeon Phi and has a solid 4 year head start. Nvidia has done an outstanding job at nurturing a developer «ecosystem» and there are many successful projects making good use of the strong compute capabilities of their GPUs. However, writing compute intensive code to run well on GPUs is challenging and requires a solid understanding of the architecture. Tesla isn't going away any time soon and the Phi is not going to replace it. The Phi is different from any compute accelerators that have come before and I believe it is going to evolve into a stand alone platform. It's nearly a general purpose many core «CPU» already and Intel has the means to move it forward to become a complete high performance computing system. The next couple of years should be interesting indeed!

i-rinat ★★★★★
()
Ответ на: комментарий от Deleted

с FPGA у них все также сложно?

Если они отдельной платой вставляются в комп, то да. Кажется, я что-то слышал про SoC с FPGA на борту. Но не помню, чтобы это выходило из категории слухов.

И потом. Зачем это? Типа вычисления ускорять?

i-rinat ★★★★★
()
Ответ на: комментарий от Deleted

Есть версии которые работают как обычный комп с phi как основной процессор.

anonymous
()

Я использовал эту фиговину. Может работать в двух режимах (как отдельное вычислительное устройство и как «сопроцессор»). Управляется собственной ОС на базе Linux, бинарники несовместимы с x86. Так что скорее ближе к GPU.

Sahas ★★★★☆
()
Последнее исправление: Sahas (всего исправлений: 1)
Ответ на: комментарий от i-rinat

если на PCI-e карте 16Gb DDR-5 (а такое бывает), то компилировать генту можно прямо там, памяти хватит (а основную память изобразить сетевым диском можно? ну то есть в обратную сторону, а не «NFS mounts to the card»)

Einstok_Fair ★★☆
()
Ответ на: комментарий от Sahas

бинарники-то как раз х86, но слинкованы под свои либы.

ну и вариант с картой-копроцессором, как по мне, бессмысленный и бесперспективный, дешевле и проще уж на гпу считать. те что юзаются как ЦП - интереснее, но все равно не стоит забывать что это - обычный атом с гипертрейдином, разве что обвешанный мощным SIMD. т.е. - опять же, как ЦП для всяких там хостингов и т.п. будет довольно уныл.

NiTr0 ★★★★★
()
Ответ на: комментарий от Einstok_Fair

Я только интеловским компилятором собирал, там указываешь опцию -mic и получаешь исполняемый файл под Xeon Phi.

Sahas ★★★★☆
()
Ответ на: комментарий от NiTr0

бинарники-то как раз х86, но слинкованы под свои либы.

неточно выразился. Но суть в том, что бинарники, собранные под обычный процессор, не запустить на Phi и наоборот.

Sahas ★★★★☆
()

На тех, которые идут как основной процессор, виндавс десяточка со всеми программами работает.

anonymous
()
Ответ на: комментарий от anonymous

Это какие? Knight Landing? Я сталкивался только с теми, которые в PCI-E втыкаются и видятся, как отдельная машина

Sahas ★★★★☆
()

если собраны под нужную архитектуру/камень статикой - то запустятся. на старых phi вроде как камень-то - i586 (обвешанный sse/avx), i686 соответственно не заведется.

NiTr0 ★★★★★
()
Ответ на: комментарий от NiTr0

может быть. Я не особо долго с этим возился... В любом случае, необходимо применять некоторые доп. усилия для запуска.

Sahas ★★★★☆
()
Последнее исправление: Sahas (всего исправлений: 1)
1 декабря 2018 г.

некрофилю

Никак не пойму что этот девайс делает и для чего нужен. Если его вставить в ПК и загрузить штатную ОС, то можно получить некоторое подобие сервиса со своей логикой и недоступного для модификации из основной ОС?

fenicks
()
Ответ на: некрофилю от fenicks

Нужен затем же, зачем тебе видеокарта. Матрицы складывать. Я ответил, но теперь ты вырастешь некрофилом.

anonymous
()
Вы не можете добавлять комментарии в эту тему. Тема перемещена в архив.